Some of our favourite destinations in the Garden Route - up to, say, two hours drive from Blommekloof
Header image: The Knysna Heads. 120 km from Blommekloof via the N2. Photo by Mark Potterton on Unsplash
Birds of Eden, The Crags, Plettenberg Bay
At 2 hectares, the world's largest avian dome spans a gorge of indigenous forest, and is currently home to more than 3,500 birds from more than 220 species - all released from previously untenable captive conditions. Birds of Eden boasts more than 2km of boardwalks, a dam, a stream, a waterfall, and more.
- Take as long as you like - visits are self guided, although guided walks are offered on request.
- Birds of Eden is a member of the South African Animal Sanctuaries Alliance - with sister sanctuaries Monkeyland (primates) and Jukani (big cats) close by. Packages for entry to all three properties are available at reception.
- Distance from Blommekloof: 166 km (via the N2)
Karoo Donkey Sanctuary, The Crags, Plettenberg Bay
The mission of this sanctuary is to relieve the suffering of overworked and abused cart-horse donkeys by providing them with a forever home. It's home to more than 120 donkeys! (At Blommekloof, WE LOVE DONKEYS! Sorry. Shouting. But, I mean... donkeys!)
- Offers guided sanctuary tours to the general public, and also 2-hour (horseback) outrides for experienced riders
- Bookings essential
- Farm shop open daily
- Distance from Blommekloof: 162 km (via the N2)
Saturday morning markets, Sedgefield
Three different morning markets on three adjacent properties? Sedgefield is definitely worth the drive!
- Distance from Blommekloof: 86 km via the N2
Wild Oats Community Farmer's Market
- 'Wild Oats' is the market for breakfast, and for locally produced farm produce, breads and bakes, herbs and plants, treats and meets - and much, much more.
- Every Saturday morning - 7:30 to 12:00 in summer, 8:00 to 12:00 in winter
- Website: wildoatsmarket.co.za
Mosaic Village and Outdoor Market
- Local talent showcase: arts and crafts, food vendors, live entertainment, kids playground, etc.
- Facebook: @mosaicmarketsedgefield
- Home of the Scarab Paper & Craft Centre - Sedgefield's famous paper made with elephant dung
- Numerous stalls selling high quality arts and crafts
- Website: scarabvillage.co.za
Redberry Farm, George
Strawberries, eateries and outdoor activities: there’s enough here to keep the family busy for days
- Berry Boutique: women’s, men’s, kids, and babies clothing ranges, and also home decor, skincare, and accessories - all locally sourced or manufactured in the Garden Route
- Farm Stall: fresh strawberries and raspberries, plus a limited stock of blackberries and blueberries in season. Jams, syrups, salad splashes (!), farm butter, yoghurt, cheeses, skincare products, hand-crafted ceramics, wooden trays, handbags...
- Pick your own strawberries - the farm grows a variety of different sized strawberries, each with a unique flavour
- The largest permanent hedge maze in the Southern Hemisphere, with seven strawberry stations, a 25m underground tunnel, a look-out point, a a total of 10km of pathways. Your goal is not to navigate your way to the exit, like in a traditional maze, but rather to find seven different strawberry stations, and to stamp your maze card with the unique icon from each one - and if you get all seven, you can claim a reward at the end of your walk
- Redberry Express. This miniature train runs on 800m of track that winds through the maze, around the strawberry field, and into the tunnel...
- Pedal go-karts - in adult- and child-friendly sizes
- Bubble ball and bumper boats on the farm’s dam
- Children’s playground on the lawns of the tea garden
- Pony rides (on selected days)
- Bunny rabbits!
- Bounty Eatery - gourmet farm-style food made with locally sourced produce. Various breakfasts, roosterkoek, and healthy meals. Vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free options
- Tea Garden - strawberry-inspired breakfast, lunches, and sweet treats
- Red Shed Coffee & Berry Bar - coffees, teas, milkshakes, smoothies, wines, ciders, cocktails, treats
- Houtbosch Wine & Craft Beer Tasting Room - local Outeniqua Mountain wine and beer complemented by ever-changing and interesting food pairings
- Framboos Handcrafted Ice Cream - gelato, soft serve, fresh berries, Belgium waffles, ice cream sandwiches, fruit dressing, and a variety of tasty toppings.
- The Noshery Pizzeria & Deli - classic and gourmet pizzas baked in a wood oven. Also speciality cheeses and freshly baked breads.
Redberry Farm is open Mondays to Saturdays, closed Sundays, Christmas Day, and Good Friday. It’s not necessary to book - entry to the farm is free, but visitors are charged per activity. Tickets for activities are sold at the Farm Stall. No pets! (Except guide dogs).
- Distance from Blommekloof: 53 km (via the N2)